Monday, May 24, 2010

Lo Ovalle 1 - Week #19

¡Hola Familia!

Well, last night at about 12:30 A.M. we received the (semi-dreaded) phone call... and... Elder Davenport left Lo Ovalle 1 and I am now here with Elder Young from Idaho. Elder Young and Elder Davenport were companions in the MTC!!! So far I've heard nothing but good things about him. He has 10 months in the mission and this is his 4th sector and 4th zone. Please pray that he can put up with me as well as Elder Davenport did!!! LOL.

So, about this week... Yesterday we had the blessing to participate in a miracle here in Lo Ovalle! Victor Cerda, the husband of Sandra Araya, was baptized and the family took one more giant step towards the temple!!! We've seen tons of change in their family... Victor even showed up to church yesterday in white shirt and tie!!! WOW!!! (He didn't like it much, but he said he'll get used to it. LOL). It is wild to see the blessings that can come because of this gospel. A few months ago he insisted that he was Catholic, and devout Catholic at that, but now... he is Mormon (aka a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)!!! We are working very closely with them to help prepare him to receive the Aaronic Priesthood and to start preparing as a family to enter the temple in 1 year. This family (la familia Cerda Araya) has come to be, basically, the adoptive family of myself and Elder Davenport here in Lo Ovalle. It was really hard to see Elder Davenport say good-bye to them!

Apart from the excitement of yesterday with 2 baptisms for the sector Lo Ovalle 2 and one baptism of a child of record here in the ward there wasn't a whole lot that happened last week. We were able to make a little bit of progress with a few families that we are teaching and we are excited to continue seeing their progression in this next change.

Yesterday's changes left Quilicura in a new set of hands. Ten of the twenty missionaries who were here have been moved to different sectors, including the two best zone leaders ever... Elder Marin and Elder King. We now have two new zone leaders and I and in a new district. Lots of changes happened that surprised a lot of the mission, and a lot of things here went differently than what the zone leaders "had planned", but that just goes to show that the Lord sometimes has different plans for us than those that we have. I think the changes will be good for the mission... it looks as if all of the zones had a lot of changes with 7 new zone leaders starting out. We'll see what fruits come of this these next 6 weeks. I'm excited!!!

Good to hear that everything is going good at home... I can't believe that Dillon and Haley Barrett are dating!!! How cute!!! LOL. Good luck to Gabe and Ryah with the job hunts and everything like that, I hope all goes well. And me alegre [I'm happy... like in the joyful kinda way] to know that Mom is beginning to get in touch with technology a little bit more. (So Mom, what are the chances of me getting hooked up with a nice cell phone when I get back???) LOL.

So here I go again!!! We, Elder Young and I, are excited to be working here in Lo Ovalle and for the success that is waiting for us. There are a lot of changes happening here in the zone, in the sector, and in the ward, and I'm excited to see what effect they will have in the coming weeks and months. I just want to challenge everyone again to keep working to share the Gospel... I promise the blessings do come!!!

I love you all and miss you bunches! I'm anxiously awaiting the package, we'll see how long it takes to get to me (up to 10 days or so to get to Chile... plus whatever amount of time to get from the office to me... LOL)... Keep me posted on the goings on and SEND ME PICTURES, PLEASE!!!

¡Todo mi amor y cariño! ¡Besos!

-- Élder Todd

No comments: