Thursday, December 24, 2009

El Salto 2 - Week #7

¡Hola Familia!

First things first...there is another e-mail headed your way very shortly with the phone number that I will be at for Christmas. I will be waiting for your call promptly at 1:00 pm (local time) [10:00 am (your time)]. More details on the phone calls in my other e-mail.

So...BUMMER!!! The news I just recieved is definitely going to put a bummer on my P-day, but I'll try to stay as upbeat as possible. Let me know when you get any details, if they come. I can't imagine! Let everyone know that I love them and that my thoughts and prayers are with them in this hard time. Don't lose faith and remember the great knowledge that this Gospel brings of the future! Wish I could be with you, but for now my prayers will have to do...

This week has been pretty mellow here in El Salto. Friday was Fase 2 y 3 so there is a big possibility that I have a quote on Hermana May's Blog (our shoe picture should be on there as well pretty soon). We had divisions this time and showed up late (Elder Sierra and I)...Murphy's Law with the TranSantiago system! Saturday we did divisions in our district so I was with Elder Francis (shout out!) in El Salto 1 for the day. I think we knocked more doors on Saturday than I have any other day in my mission! LOL.

The work is progressing, slowly but surely. Our 2 investigators who were supposed to be baptized this Sunday aren't going to yet (hopefully the following), but we've got one other who should be on the 27th. The other missionaries began teaching him 2 transfers ago and now we are working with him for various reasons, but he is progressing and wants to be baptized now. This past week we ran into him again and he has received an answer to his prayers that this is what he needs to do. Woot! So, he may be my first baptism (if so that will be an interesting story for later).

Today we are headed into Santiago Central to go to a park called Quinta Normal. Apparently it is a pretty big attraction here, with museums all around it, so we may end up going to some of them too. The more time I spend here the more I fall in love with this country (and its people).

Yesterday...elections were held in Chile. Everyone said that voting wasn't as bad as was expected at any time of the day. The system is kinda unique though, the people only vote for president and diputado (representative for 3 communities). If you are registered here you are required by law (with threat of arrest) to vote, but you don't have to be registered. Turns out that yesterday none of the presidential candidates got over 50% of the vote, so the top 2 have re-votes coming up at the beginning of the year (January or February). Ahhhh!!! LOL.

So, I just thought we dropped Ernesto (our investigator with armies). We have since learned that in order to drop him completely we have to completely avoid his street (not just close to his house). Last night we ended up having "the last supper" with him (we got pulled into his lair because we went to close [about 200 yards away]). So, Elder Low wants to keep passing by to basically do a case study on him and I want to avoid him if at all possible. We'll see who wins out on this one, unfortunately I don't think it will be me!

It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas here...everyone has their Christmas trees up and a few people have lights (not at all like the states)...and it is starting to get unbearably hot!!! The wind has all but stopped and the temperatures seem to be getting hotter and hotter everyday with no cooling at night. Oh the joys! I'm dreaming of a white Christmas!!! (But I'm not getting my hopes up).

I just want everyone to know that I love them and miss them, especially in this Christmas season. I look forward to hearing from everyone again soon and talking to you on Christmas day.

HEADS UP!!! Our P-day has been changed from the 21st of December (Monday) to the 24th of December (Thursday). I will be able to check my e-mail on the 21st only to see how the phone call to the member went and makes sure there are no problems with the calling on Christmas Day. E-mail will work as usual on the 24th!

Love you lots and hope to hear more from you later!

¡Todo mi amor!

-- Elder Todd

No comments: